Friday, October 30, 2009

Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10

I am now upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, released On October 29 by Canonical Ltd. The system is now up and running, even though there are still some (minor) issues to be resolved. Overall, it was an exciting exploration, and Internet and Google search were essential for solving most of the problems.

Normally, I am not that quick to catch up with a new software release, but wait a few more weeks when most initial bugs have been fixed. I was quick this time mainly because I had been trapped into an earlier 9.10 alpha release (in development branch), when I tried to fix a printing problem (without success). Worse yet, suddenly, my VirtualBox to run Windows XP did not start, and SCIM Chinese input stopped functioning, etc. It caused me quite some time and trouble to get my Linux box back to work. So over the past few months, I did not perform any update, but eagerly waiting for the stable release. It is a relief that the new official 9.10 release does solve my problems.

With Ubuntu 9.10, now I have access to OpenOffice 3.1.1 and Lyx 1.6.4 for text processing, GNU Emacs 22.2.1, and GCC 4.4.1, among other things. It is nice to stay current, not only in science, but also in IT.

It is worth mentioning that Ubuntu is "an ethical concept of African origin emphasizing community, sharing and generosity." It is amazing how useful and robust the free, open-source software can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to make a comment. Just remember to be specific and follow common-sense etiquette.