Sunday, June 20, 2010

Subscribing to mailing lists in daily digest mode

I am currently on quite a few mailing lists that are relevant to my research topics in a broad sense, including Jmol, pdb-l and CCP4. Over the years, I've found it very handy to keep informed of a field by following in its (major) mailing list. However, I could easily get lost with so many posts each day on some active lists. So subscribing to the daily digest mode, provided by many mailing list management software, has become a norm. Thus, I would receive only one (or a few) email(s) from a mailing list. I could then easily browse through the subject lines to decide if to read further of a specific topic.

Among the three lists mentioned above, Jmol is quite active with several core contributors, most impressively from Prof. Robert Hanson. The PDB mailing list is of unbelievably low volume, with less than a post per day. CCP4 bullet board is overall the most well-organized; I am surprised by the knowledge-base from the posts there – it is a great resource in structural biology.

AMBER mailing list and Computational Chemistry List (CCL) are the other two lists I subscribed to before. However, I could not get into the daily digest mode; soon my mail box was flooded by many unrelated posts so I had to un-subscribe from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to make a comment. Just remember to be specific and follow common-sense etiquette.